The five band members share their top summer wines, favorite physicists, Pokemon dream team and more
Ahead of their Saturday-night show at Bowery Ballroom (tix here!), the boys of Blonde Otter—Stephen / Matt / Rob / Dan / Michael—kindly composed for us a detailed weekend itinerary (get that here!), plus provided a list of their top picks for… well, a lot of random things.
From the high-brow to the not-so-high-brow to whatever brow one consider 311, here are a few fun sets of picks from one of our favorite NYC bands.
Hit play on the band’s rad self-titled record and proceed…
10 Restaurants in NYC that Stephen Loves:
- Roberto’s – Fordham (Bronx)
- Dominick’s – Fordham (Bronx)
- Zero Otto Nove – Fordham (Bronx)
- Don Pepe’s – Howard Beach (Queens)
- Cuchifritos 188 – Fordham (Bronx) **you must speak spanish
- John’s Pizza – West Village (Manhattan)
- Momofuku Noodle Bar – East Village (Manhattan)
- Sushi on Jones – Bowery (Manhattan)
- Sables Smoked Fish – Upper East Side (Manhattan)
- Thai Diner – Nolita (Manhattan)
Matt’s Dream Pokémon Team:
Mankey, Lapras, Espeon, Muk, Hariyama, Snorlax
Rob’s Top 10 311 songs:
- “From Chaos”
- “Beautiful Disaster”
- “Life’s Not a Race”
- “All Mixed Up”
[Editor’s note: That’s only 8. But that’s probably enough?]
Rob’s favorite Twitter accounts:
- giabuchi lastrassi – @jaboukie
- Ken Klippenstein – @kenklippenstein
- Marianne Williamson – @marwilliamson
- Freddie Gibbs – @FreddieGibbs
- dj silky smooth updates – @Jschwa95
Dan’s Top 5 star wars quotes
- “Hello there” – Obi Wan Kenobi
- “Only a sith deals in absolutes, I’ll do what I must” – Obi Wan Kenobi
- “I… I killed them. I killed them all. They’re dead… every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women… and the children, too. They’re like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!” – Anakin Skywalker
- “From the moment I met you, all those years ago, not a day has gone by when I haven’t thought of you. And now that I’m with you again… I’m in agony. The closer I get to you, the worse it gets. The thought of not being with you- I can’t breath. I’m haunted by the kiss that you should never have given me. My heart is beating… hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me… what can I do?- I will do anything you ask.” – Anakin Skywalker
- “Do it” – Sheev Palpatine
Dan’s Top 10 Most Influential Physicists
- Albert Einstein
- Isaac Newton
- Richard Feynman
- James Clerk Maxwell
- Max Planck
- Erwin Schrödinger
- Marie Curie
- Niels Bohr
- Werner Heisenberg
- Paul Dirac
10 Youtube Videos That Stephen Loves:
- Kelly Slater Commentates Massive Cloudbreak Free Surf Volcom Fiji Pro 2012
- The Strokes 2 Dollar Bill
- Radiohead 2000 Kid A Under the Tent in Dublin
- Derek Ho Tribute | A Glimpse Into The Final Five Years
- Mason Ho 2020 Highlights
- The Cure in Orange London in 1986
- John John at Pipeline (by Surfline Dec 2013)
- Nathan Florence’s Impossible Paddle-in Wave at Teahupoo
- CENTURY SWELL (By Kandui Resort)
- Radiohead 1997 Hammerstein Ballroom
Michael’s favorite summer wines:
- Valerie Tissot, Cremant de Jura, France – A French sparkling white wine made outside of “Champagne”. Less pretentious, but just as delicious, and just as French. Super refreshing, with strong notes of green apple, and a yeasty bread-y finish.
- Biancofongoli, ‘Fongoli’, Umbria, Italy – Crisp body, with deeper notes of stone and earth. Apricot forward. Orange wines achieve their color by leaving the skin on the grape during fermentation (aka “skin contact”). This process contributes to the wine’s versatility when pairing with food.*Note: be careful when speaking its name! It sounds like an Italian profanity!
- Johan Vineyards, Pinot Noir Petillant Naturel, Willamette Valley, Oregon – A sparkling rosé with an elegant fruit funk. The wine is a “pet nat”, meaning the carbonation is achieved naturally. The grapes are left to do their thing, and no sugar or yeast is added to spike a second round of fermentation, so the bubbles are soft on the mouth. Almost drinks like a saison or sour ale.
- Celine & Nicolas Hirsch, Beaujolais Villages, France – 100% Gamay grape, fermented using “biodynamic” processes (science!). Fruity, tangy berry notes. Dry light body, with the signature earthiness of a natural wine. Can be served chilled.
Follow the band at @blondeotter, buy their music on Bandcamp and add their songs to your Spotify playlists!
Feature image provided by the band.